Create Walking Tours People Love
A new course from The History Biz!
Design, promote and conduct a walking tour people truly enjoy and are happy to pay for - even if it's your first time.
Create Walking Tours People Love is specifically designed to address the real world issues we face in local history and tourism. This is not a theoretical, academic course. It's a practical, step-by-step guide. The material is based on what we at The History Biz have experienced in the trenches over the last several years creating and running successful - and some not so successful – tours.
You will learn:
- How to come up with an appealing tour concept
- How to balance the presentation of factual information with entertaining elements
- The logistics of setting up the tour including sequencing and appropriate length
- Where to find relevant background material
- The role of guides and how to use volunteers
- How to use traditional as well as new media to reach your target audience
- How much to charge
- How to neutralize tour day disasters
- How to conduct a meaningful post-tour assessment
- And much more
Read, Implement, Document
Create Walking Tours People Love is a comprehensive self-study course. It includes an 88-page illustrated ebook and a 54-page companion workbook with worksheets and templates. As you move through each chapter, designing, promoting and preparing to offer your tour, you will also complete relevant exercises in your workbook.
By the end of the course, you'll have documented your entire process and captured critical contact information and other important details. Your workbook becomes a valuable reference document that will make designing future tours much easier.
What Does the Course Include?
Chapter 1 – The Big Picture: Goals, Theme and Structure
We’ll start by laying a solid foundation and establishing the framework for a successful tour.
- Determining your overall goal. Defining success. Coming up with a tour concept. What to do if you can’t find a concept. Structure and theme. Field work. Important questions to consider. Should you include building interiors? Touring residential areas. Naming the tour.
Chapter 2 – Research
Many of us are quite comfortable doing research. Maybe too comfortable. How much background material do we really need and where do we find it?
- Using local librarians. Offline information sources. Online information sources, free and paid.Treasure maps. Old photographs. What to do about unanswered, perhaps unanswerable, questions.
Chapter 3 – Designing the Tour
This is where we start putting the actual tour together by organizing the faded pictures, old maps, newspaper clippings and stories into a coherent whole, an experience people will love.
- Sequencing the tour. Plotting the route. Scripting the stops. Outlines vs scripts. Managing your material. Dealing with beginnings, middles and ends. Continuity. Scripts for hosts (as opposed to guides).
Chapter 4 – Staffing the Tour
Guides make or break tours. It doesn’t matter how good the material is. If the guide is poor, the tour will fail.
- Finding help. Duties and responsibilities. Compensating guides and helpers. Helping guides succeed. How to use scripts and notes effectively.
Chapter 5 – Logistics
Thinking through your tour’s logistical and administrative elements is not the most glamorous phase of this work, but it is critical to the tour’s smooth operation and success.
- Setting the date. Tour duration and frequency. Reservations and ticketing. Costumes and props. Equipment and visual aids. Handling customer questions. Licenses, permits and other bureaucratic obstacles.
Chapter 6 – Money Matters
It’s easy to over-complicate the financial side of things. We're not going to do that. We are going to stick to the basic financial issues surrounding your tour.
- Income and expenses. Income vs profit. How much should you charge? Discounts. Donations and commissions. Multiple organizations. Cash or credit. Refunds.
Chapter 7 – Marketing and Promotion
Once we determine who your target audience is, we will consider various promotional options.
- Defining your audience. Marketing cost factors. Traditional media. New media. What to do if you hate technology. Your website. Coordinating with other organizations. Email newsletters. Social networks and platforms. Public speaking. Attracting groups. Freebies. Using vintage images in promotions.
Chapter 8 – Tour Day: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
It’s show time. All your hard work is about to pay off. Or is it?
- Weather woes. People you depend on. Self-inflicted wounds. Traffic jams and detours. Lock outs. Payment processing snafus. Handouts, props and equipment failures. Timing issues. Forgetting your lines. Human obstacles. Competition. Customer caused problems.
Chapter 9 – Post Tour Assessment
Improving things for the next time around.
- The post mortem. Audience input. Fine-tuning.
Print your workbook and fill it out as you go through the course. Use it to record pertinent details such as contact information for guides and volunteers, web addresses or physical locations of key resources, costs, attendance figures, unexpected challenges and more.
Refer to your completed copy the next time you want to offer this tour, plan a new one or train another tour designer. You’ll be way ahead of the game.
The Workbook also includes worksheets and templates you can adopt and adapt.
- Guides and Helpers Agreement. Costs Worksheet. How Much to Charge Worksheet. Collaboration Agreement. Countdown to Tour Day Checklist. Payment Demand Letter. Press Releases. Gift Certificate. Audience Survey.Executive Summaries.
Ready to Get Started?
Create Walking Tours People Love, which consists of an 88-page ebook and a 54-page workbook with worksheets and templates, is contained in a single, downloadable PDF document. The price for the entire course is $79.00.
To get your copy, click the Buy Now button. You will be taken to the course's page in our Store. Click Add to Cart, then click the shopping cart in the top right corner and enter your payment information. You will then receive confirmation emails and a link to download the course.
Once you've download Create Walking Tours People Love you can save the material to your computer, put it on a tablet, print it or all of the above. Work through the material at your own pace where ever and whenever it's convenient for you.
Create Walking Tours People Love comes with an unconditional 100% money back guarantee available for the first 30 days after purchase. If you are not happy with the course for any reason, we will promptly refund the full purchase price. Period.